This morning’s choice from the schedule was to watch a DVD….hmm…. should I be slightly suspicious that so far no actual academic work has been selected and specifically no maths? Well, we’re giving it a good try, so DVD it was – we watched the last in the Chemistry: A Volatile History series, which was very interesting. We stopped buying many DVD documentary sets a while ago as they weren’t really being watched…. may have to obtain some more. Watching an hour long documentary doesn’t sound like an awful lot of work for a morning, but we did a) get up very late (again!) and b) spend some time waving my parents off on holiday.
After lunch, Emily chose photography, so we set about with the first set of projects in the Collins Photography Course book. These initial projects dealt with exposure. Bear in mind that although we both love taking photographs, this is one of our first ventures into the actual technicalities, beyond the various automatic camera modes.
Project 1: choose a landscape, portrait and still life object and photograph it using a range of exposure compensation. Since we were at home, we were a bit limited with choice of landscape, but Emily went for a simple garden scene. Portrait subject was an obliging Lucifer and still life was, for reasons which escape me, a light bulb. Emily took six photos of each; these were her favourites.
The light bulb was a +1 exposure compensation because it was shot in a dark room and the automatic exposure didn’t capture the detail or show the reflection all that well.
Lucifer was chosen at a -1 exposure because it had a little bit of moodiness about it without losing detail.
The garden scene was chosen at -1 exposure because Emily liked the way it made the colour of the flowers stand out.
The next project was about high-end photography. I’d never heard the term used in this context before, but apparently it means over-exposed shooting with loads of light in order to create a romantic image. We were supposed to photograph a baby, but didn’t have one handy 😉 – fortunately, Emily remembered where to find a doll she hasn’t played with for the last several years, so s/he got a welcome outing!
Again, Emily took a range of shots noting the settings carefully and she also arranged extra lighting to avoid the baby, shot in front of the window, turning into a silhouette. This last one was closest to the desired effect although we liked the one above too (if it hadn’t cut off at the ends!) for its warmer tones and detail on the curtain.
The last project for today was about low-end photography; the opposite of high-end, reasonably enough. One of Emily’s goth dolls got a starring role here and I love this picture below, under exposed but using the spot meter function to capture the highlights of her white skin.
Also love this one 🙂
Hee hee – after that, it all got a bit, um, odd. Emily went off on a creative spree taking Halloween-esque photos of poor goth doll coming to various sticky ends.
I love the middle two as the hand and giant nails are the first sight, but you can also catch a glimpse of her face. She took dozens of these, but the ones shown here are her favourites.
So, that all took nearly three hours in total – think that counts as “double photography”, so we ticked three boxes today 🙂