The owner of Emily’s riding school horse is, apparently, considering putting him out on full loan to someone because her ADHD son has completely lost interest in Blue and barely ever sees him or rides him. And – drumroll – we’re getting first refusal if they do decide to go ahead!
Talked with one of the school owners about this at length yesterday at Emily’s lesson. The monthly cost is do-able (just) and it would mean that Blue was effectively Emily’s to do whatever and whenever she wanted, except when he’s being used for lessons (which is only really weekend mornings). She’d have full responsibility for taking care of him each day and could ride every day if she wanted to 🙂 🙂 🙂 [yet another benefit of being home educated, lol – she doesn’t have to fit it in at weekends!] She’s so excited she can barely breathe, but we now have to wait on tenterhooks to see if the owner does decide to go for the loan.
Blue is in working livery at the stables (for the uninitiated, this means that the owner pays a much cheaper livery price in return for allowing him to be used for lessons). The school owners are really enthusiastic about him going on loan because he’s not really getting the attention he needs from the owner’s son and it would be good for him to have someone to fuss over him and build a one to one relationship. Well – obviously the school staff take care of him and love him, but it’s not the same as a one-one thing when they have 18 other horses to see to as well. So, given their enthusiasm, I’m hoping they can sway the owner in the right direction 🙂
Included in the price is also a free group lesson each week, but we’d still pay for Emily’s private lesson once a week for the time being, as she still needs to get to proper grips with canter and start to jump. The only conditions on her riding Blue at any time would be that I have to be with her as she’s underage for not having staff supervision. No problem, since I’d want to to be there anyway each day with her. She’d be allowed to take him out hacking, but again, I’d have to be with her unless there was another rider going that she could tag along with. That means she could only hack as far as and where I can walk with her, but that’s OK at this stage. I might get a bike 😉
I’ve got a good feeling about this. It could all still end in a big disappointment if they don’t go for it, but it had been on my mind for weeks to ask about this kind of thing and I’d been anxious about asking for some reason. Decided yesterday before we left that I was definitely going to ask – only to discover that they’d been talking about it with Blue’s owner just a few days ago. So the timing seems to have been right. Watch this space!